Kamis, 21 November 2013

How to Make Your Own Nail Polish Ornaments!

Good morning everyone! A couple of days ago I went Christmas shopping and picked up some clear glass ornaments with the intention of using them to make some ornaments for my tree. I have a bunch of different ideas for them, but the one I was most excited about was nail polish ornaments! There was a lot of interest in them when I posted about them on Instagram, so I thought I would make up a tutorial post with step by step instructions on how to make them! :)


These are a really great craft because you don't need many supplies and what you do need is pretty cheap! You'll need a bottle of nail polish (which I'm sure you all have bunches of!), a clear glass ornament (you can find these at any craft store, I think mine were $4.99 for a pack of 12), and a small jar with a paper towel in the bottom of it. I used China Glaze Santa Red My List for this one.


Remove the little silver cap from the ornament (duh). They pop out really easily, you just have to pull a little.


Dump a whole bunch of polish into that sucker. You'll be dumping most of the excess back into the nail polish bottle so don't be afraid to pour a lot in. It'll make your life easier!


Swirl the ornament around to completely coat the inside with the polish. Do it slowly to avoid bubbles. This can get time consuming if you are using a slightly thicker polish. I made some ornaments using textured polish and they took a while to coat and I had to keep adding more because the polish didn't flow as smoothly, BUT they turned out amazing, so it was totally worth it.


Once your ornament is thoroughly coated, pour the extra polish back into the bottle.


Once you get most of the polish back in the bottle (or you get tired of holding it), place the ornament upside down on top of your jar. The paper towels will catch the leftover polish and your ornament has a safe place to dry. Once it's dry (I left mine overnight), pop the ornament top back on and go put that beauty on your tree!


I used about 1/5 to 1/4 of a bottle of polish for each ornament. Pretty much any polish will work for these, but glitters/heavy shimmers/holographics will have the most stunning results. From left to right here I have:
Row 1: KBShimmer Don't Pink Twice, Teal Another Tail, Will Yule Marry Me?
Row 2: OPI DS Pewter, OPI Silent Stars Go By, Zoya Chita
Row 3: China Glaze Santa Red My List 


And here is my beauty Will Yule Marry Me? on display. These little ornament hooks are a great way to show off your favorite polish ornament!


Will you be making some of these? What polish are you dying to see an ornament made from?

Related Posts

How to Make Your Own Nail Polish Ornaments!
4/ 5
Oleh